Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Helter Skelter - losing your mind while running a small business

Helter-Skelter: adv. 
chaotic, disorganized, every which way, hurried, pell mell





I stare groggily at the blank check I'm writing.  It's very early in the morning and my children swirl their oatmeal around in their bowls, while poking each other.  I can't remember what I'm writing the check for.  A field trip? A utility bill?  I stare blankly at the check waiting for my mind to start working.  It's 6:45 a.m. on a gray rainy Wednesday morning, and I think I've lost my mind.


Losing your mind, or memory while running a small business can be disastrous.  I'll admit, I've never been the most organized person, but lately it's gotten worse.  I'm juggling so many balls at once, that I'm bound to start dropping a few.  Recent examples of me being absentminded are rampant: forgetting doctor's appointments, forgetting to reply to important emails, forgetting to place orders for business supplies, not keeping up with social media like I used to, forgetting family members birthdays.  Some of these mistakes seem small but they have a large impact on my life and my business.  They result in negative impressions, loss of money, sales and exposure.  





So, what to do?  Addressing the problem is the first step, right?  I realize that I'm frazzled.  The small part of my personality that is controlling and a bit of a perfectionist must release the reigns.  I'm trying, now unsuccessfully to do too much.  I've made a realization . . . (dramatic pause) I think I need some HELP.  I think trying to do it all myself is starting to backfire.  Initially doing it all myself was the best and only option.  Now, I'm not so sure.  A wonderful fellow perfumer once gave me a great bit of advice regarding running a business, "Do everything you can yourself -BUT- know what you can't do, or aren't good it and have someone else do that."  Maybe it's time that I decide to assign someone (other than myself) some duties.  Maybe it's time to hire an intern, or one of the PR agencies that keep contacting me, or a sales rep. Then, maybe the next time the lights flicker, I won't worry I forgot to pay the electric bill :)

3 comments:

Donna Maria @ Indie Business said...

Charna: It's amazing that reading your post takes me back to a place I once was, and a place where I meet lots of my new clients. Back then, when I was feeling sort of Helter Skelter, someone said to me, "What you don't do is more important than what you do." It changed my life, and I heard it at just the right time. I hope it helps you as well. Hope you get to relax a bit this weekend, have a good one!

Unknown said...

None of realized,I don't think, that "juggling" was a life skill
we would all need. Why not hire an intern? You will get a break and
someone will get needed experince.

Bellatrix said...

HI Charna! :)
If you have money you pay an intern or PR agency - why not? :D

You could focus on process of making perfumes :)